Saturday 11 April 2015

Killing time in between Yoga and Pole classes

Every weekend, I'll usually spend my time doing about two hours of yoga in town. As I have recently signed up for an Amateur Night pole dance competition, I also spend my weekends practicing my dance routine. 

With about three hours to kill before our allocated Amateur Night practice time begins, I decided to do the most important thing on my to-do list.

Lunch. 

I mean seriously, after two hours of Hot Stretch and Iyengar yoga classes.. ANYONE will be famished. As you all know, yoga classes are for clearing the mind of negative thoughts and stay focused on the self? Throughout class, my motivational thoughts were "FOOD. FOOD. FOOD." 

No wonder the fiance said I will never lose any weight. 

My stomach craved for chicken rice today and chicken rice I shall have. 

Went to The Food Inn, located at the Park Mall exit at Douby Ghaut XChange. 

What caught my eye was the price. $3 for chicken rice?! In Orchard Road?  

NOW THAT IS A STEAL. 

$3 for a plate of chicken rice and $5 for a set. NICE.
Roast Chicken Rice
Ordered my usual, roast chicken, breast meat and less rice. Health conscious lah.

Now before you ask me how was the chicken rice? I can safely say this, my bias is still Wee Nam Kee. But hey, I am not complaining? What you pay for is what you get and for $3, I'll say this is a fair amount for a plate of chicken rice in an air conditioned place. Some air conditioned food courts whom I shall not name, I pay like $3.50-$5 for their chicken rice and they don't even serve this much.

The Food Inn also have affordable nasi lemak at $2.30. Definitely a good place to eat at if you are on a tight budget and you are in Orchard Road.

After satisfying my craving, I still had time to kill. Decided to walk to the National Library and spend what's left of my time with books.

On the way, I had to walk past the art museum and I chanced upon this art piece.

Utama's Cat description
Apparently, in history, Singapore always had tigers but never lions.We can't blame Prince Utama for his mistake though because according to the folklore, when he landed and saw the creature, he apparently asked his chief minister if he knew what was that creature called. And I'm guessing that dude doesn't have the option to say "I have no idea, Sire." because he was in a cushy position as chief minister which I'm sure in the 1200s that definitely had better benefits than a foot soldier or a farmer... he decided to wing it and told Prince Utama "That's a lion." And because Princes tend to trust people around them, he believed the dude and decided to rename Temasek as Singapore aka Lion City. 

Good job, chief minister. 

And here's Utama's Cat. Well, lions are under the cat classification anyway.
 Eventually, I made my way down to the basement of the National Library and I saw this!

Holy mother of library's children's sections!
 What the heck?! When did the children's section became so cool!?

Ignoring the stares of other people, I decided to walk in and take a look at this bookworms' wonderland.
IS THAT A TREEHOUSE?!
 Now I wish I'm a kid again.

After reading a few mangas, it was time for me to make my way to class.

I was attracted to the exhibitions at the lobby and outside the library's lobby.

The first exhibition was pretty somber. Mr Lee Kuan Yew passed away two weeks back and they left a memorial wall covering his works at the lobby.


RIP Mr Lee Kuan Yew, you will be missed by us.
 After which, there was the SG 50 exhibitions.

Memories of the past
Nostalgic decors
Someone's garden in Singapore
Do you remember your first home?
You can take a piece of paper and pin it on the map of Singapore to identify your first home.
Interactive exhibitions for adults and children.

SG 50 is coming in August, it won't be the same without Mr LKY, and I rarely say this, but this exhibition is one of the rare times where I feel like I'm home and makes me feel proud to be Singaporean.

Today has been a really meaningful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment