Tuesday 14 April 2015

Wedding Venue Hunting at Goodwood Park's Openhouse

Here's the second showcase my fiance and I went to after our visit to Marina Mandarin's wedding open houseBefore I begin, let me remind you, this is written to my own PERSONAL opinion. Everyone have different experiences and opinions, so do take what I write with a pinch of salt. Now let's see....

Ta-da! The prestigious and beautifully classy Goodwood Park. (Check out their wedding packages here)

It costed SGD $38 per couple to go for their wedding openhouse but that is alright.. because it consists of their LEGENDARY HIGH TEA BUFFET.

But first, let us take a look at their biggest, grandest and probably the only octogonal banquet hall in Singapore, the Windsor Ballroom.  

Windsor Ballroom
Love the old world colonial charm this ballroom has. The ballroom is big enough to fit a maximum of 38 tables. I love the mirrors and I love that there are four projector screens, two at the center of each side of the stage. I stood right at the back and looked at the nearest screen and can see the picture on it with perfect clarity. This means that if I'm a wedding guest, no matter where I sit I am able to see the bride and groom either on the projector screen, in the mirrors or on the stage itself. Lovely.

I am very anal about this fact because I went for a friend's wedding at Ritz before and I was seated somewhere at the back.. I cannot see ANYTHING. Not even the projector. I didn't get to see how the bridal couple looked until they came to our table for a photograph.

Anyway, we were famished. So we zeroed in onto the food first like a pack of hyenas onto a carcass.

Turkey with sundried tomatoes and peach sandwiches and others. 
Chicken wrap, some kinda cheesy tart (which was fabulously delicious) and salmon with caviar
Confession of a glutton, I had 5 of these.
Mushroom Quiche. After the cheesy tart thingy, this one was like meh,
Shrimp patties
Assortment of desserts
Some kinda pear tart with meringue 
Chocolate with some fruity jelly thing in the center.
Chocolate cake.
My favourite, Min Jiang's legendary Roast Chicken!
I apologise for not remember the names of what I ate. I just took the food, snap photo, took food, snap photo, eat, go back to buffet table, snap photo, took photo, repeat.

But I can guarantee one thing. The food is fantabulous!

A clearer view of Windsor Ballroom


After we were satiated, we decided to get down to business. We asked for a tour of the premises with the staff. We were led to their smaller ballroom, the Tudor Ballroom.

Tudor Ballroom
Now, I have heard that the Tudor Ballroom have pillars (at the side), and the ceiling is low... but I like the ambiance. Pity we will be having more than 30 tables, so the Tudor Ballroom is out. Otherwise, I would have considered it as it gives me a very Disney Princess vibe.

Poolside Solemnisation Venue A
We were led past the Coffee Lounge to the high tea buffet side. Behind the crowd and the mouthwatering food, we entered the first outdoor solemnisation venue. Yes, it faces the pool, yes it is sheltered. But behind you, you will have the buffet customers staring at you as they eat and also random tourists entering the lobby which is in front of the buffet area.. who may also be staring at you. To us, if we were to choose this place for solemnisation, this is out.

Poolside Solemnisation Venue B
This place was below the Windsor Ballroom. It gives us a bit more privacy and the view is better than the first venue. However, as my fiance pointed out, the last thing he wants is for us to be saying our vows and to have random hotel guests in the background sunbathing in the photo. Out.

We were led to the Deluxe room for the sisters on the second floor. Interestingly enough, the suites and the deluxe rooms were located right next to the Windsor ballroom. So I guess this means that it's easier for the bride to go back and change her outfit.
Corridor to the bridal suites and Deluxe rooms
Deluxe Room
Deluxe Room bathroom
Bridal Suite Bedroom
Bridal Suite Living Room
The Bridal Suite room was gorgeous. I loved that it faced the pool with its beautiful scenary but I'm not liking the fact that it's only on the second floor. This meant that if some tourists' kids decided to have a screaming match in the pool, we will hear it loud and clear. And I can't help but feel that the suite is nice for a staycation, but not for a stay before or after the wedding. It just didn't feel right to me. But that is my personal opinion. 

We were led back to the Windsor Ballroom. 

Theme 1
Theme 2

Stage
Wedding Favours Samples
Goodwood Park Guestbook
Frankly speaking, the fiance and I found Goodwood Park's themes and favours very traditional and normal. We spoke to the coordinator about the package and found that there is minimal room for negotiations. The most we were offered longan tea and a teapot for our tea ceremony. Solemnisation venue was pricy at about $1000k+. Definitely out of our budget. If we were to splurge on this place it will probably be for the fabulous food and ballroom. Otherwise, we decided, this is not for us. 

While leaving we saw their fabulous durian rainbow cake.
Overall verdict, only choose this place if you can afford it and if food is a priority for you. Otherwise, onward to venue number 3, Concorde Hotel! Stay tuned! 

1 comment:

  1. I just loved your post and choice of wedding venue was awesome. The food corners were decorated beautifully creatively. I was also searching for low-cost banquet halls in Chicago for gathering of around 200 people. Can you help me in finding one?

    ReplyDelete