Tuesday 28 April 2015

Wedding Venue Hunting at Concorde Hotel's Openhouse

Here's the third showcase my fiance and I went to after our visit to Marina Mandarin's wedding open house and Goodwood Park's wedding open houseBefore I begin, let me remind you, this is written to my own PERSONAL opinion. Everyone have different experiences and opinions, so do take what I write with a pinch of salt. 

Concorde Hotel, formerly known as Le Meridien Singapore, is located at the Le Meridien Shopping Center in between Somerset and Douby Ghaut. Here's their wedding package

It wasn't even one of our choices as we felt the shopping center located below the hotel is rather dodgy and the exterior looks pretty old. In fact, my fiance was bitching about the shopping center, until my friend who was accompanying us with her husband told us her sister held her wedding there last year and it was a pretty good experience. She told us to go in with an open mind. 

So since we were around the area, why not just pop by and look around? 

My friend said they installed escalators outside the mall that will take us straight to the hotel lobby on the third instead of walking past those dodgy massage parlours to take the lift to the lobby. She did however, mention that despite the dodgy massage parlours, the mall does have shops that are known for giving good manicure and hair services (she swears that her friends do go there for their manicures and stuff despite the dodgy shops) and highlighted that on my wedding day if anything should happen to my nails or hair, I can just go down to the mall and touch up. 

Point taken. 

When we exited the lift to the main lobby. Ok, it wasn't like what we expected. We expected the place to be peeling, a bit dim, and stuff.. but it looks presentable. 

Main Lobby of the Hotel
The one and only Ballroom
Oriental Theme
VIP table decor
Second theme
Main Stage decor for the second theme.
Panoramic view of the ballroom 
Dessert
Croissant 
Tarts
Sandwiches
Smoked Salmon
Open face sandwiches
Wedding Favours
Wedding Favours
My photo doesn't do it justice.
Official photo taken from Concorde's Website
Also taken from Concorde's Website

I came to Concorde in mid-2013 for the SIA walk-in interview (where I flunked the height test section despite being 1.59m.. I blame my short arms), and to be honest, the ballroom didn't make much of an impression to me. Maybe it was because I was coming for an interview and I was more focused on other things as compared to checking out my surrounds at that time.

So when I entered the ballroom, I was awestruck. The ambiance reminded me of the Roaring Twenties ala The Great Gatsby. Ceiling height seemed just right, not too high, not too low. I like how there is only ONE ballroom. This means that guests will not be confused which ballroom is our wedding and lesser competition for parking lots. I also can't help but notice that the reception outside have their very own bathroom opposite the ballroom. Meaning, we won't have random tourists/people walking past our reception area to go to the bathroom and it's close by so our guests won't have to walk too far to find the toilet. I also like how there's a wheelchair ramp to the reception area, for elderly guests who are unable to walk, this will be easier for them to access the place without much hassle.

Food wise, I can't comment much as they served mainly appetizers for us potential newlyweds. But they do have a dessert buffet for people who are holding their wedding dinner there (I'm holding a lunch banquet), so I'm assuming that some of the food served during the openhouse will be served for the dessert buffet. 

 The wedding favours were quite interesting too. Passport holder, luggage tag, portable nailcare set, cards, we quite like the travel pillow as well.

The invitation cards were pretty standard, so we didn't take photos of it. We spoke to one of the staff who informed us that for the solemnisation/tea ceremony room that is held next to the banquet hall, we do not have to worry about decors as they will take two of the aisle decorations (based on your chosen theme) and place it at each ends of the solemnisation table. After everyone is ushered out to the reception area, the staff will discreetly bring the aisle decors back to the banquet hall before the guests are ushered in to be seated.

We quite like that idea. 

The staff also told us that the hotel is able to display our wedding photo on their information screen. Which is fantastic, as they have the screen displayed at the entrance of the shopping mall, the lift lobby and outside the reception area. It means I don't have to allocate brothers and/or sisters to direct my guests to the venue. 

We were taken to the bridal suite. Out of the wedding venues I have visited (openhouses or relatives' weddings), this is by far one of the most spacious bridal suites (of course, to be fair, can't compare with York Hotel, that place's bridal suite takes the cake so far).  

 I particularly like the spacious bathroom with its full length mirrors as this means there is sufficient space for my make up artist, sisters and whoever to move around without bumping into each other. Also the big full length mirror meant that my bridesmaid and I can check our appearances without waiting for each other's turn (that happened to us for my friend's wedding).
My fiance, from someone who was not at all impressed with the exterior of the hotel, he was quite sold after talking to the staff. The staff was quite commendable, whatever he promised us he wrote it down (so, according to him, he can remember what he promised when we call him to confirm), was willing to lend a listening ear and he was quite witty. He also explained to my fiance, when my fiance complained that the exterior was very dodgy that the hotel management do not own the shopping center, they unfortunately, only own the hotel itself, hence they can only renovate the interior. 

That really explains a lot of things. 

One of the strongest selling point he told us was "And also, because there is only one ballroom, it means our staff are completely dedicated to serving only you." 

Overall verdict, exterior is dodgy yes, but they did make it up by renovating the interiors. In fact, two people I know who are very, very fussy and always complain about services, held functions (one a wedding, another a birthday party) at Concorde, both swore that the service there is fantastic. That, my fiance and I can't help but agree based on the fact that the coordinator we met at the openhouse was very, very good. So good that my friend and her husband advised us to work with him as they told us "A wedding venue can be beautiful, have good food, but if the service sucks, you won't get to enjoy any of it. Take our advice, work with someone who can work if not your wedding day will be very stressful." 

Even my fiance reluctantly agreed that out of all the venues we have visited, he actually felt most at ease with this coordinator. 

After deliberating for a few days, we decided to settle for Concorde Hotel as we decided a good coordinator is the most important for our big day. Thus, effectively ending our wedding venue hunt. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    Congrats on your cupcoming wedding

    I am a 2016 BTB and currently searching for wedding banquet venues.

    Do you mind sharing with me the coordinator you work with at Concorde pls?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really happy for you that you are getting married. I wish you all the very best!! If looking for destination wedding in budget opt for Miami. There are numerous options in form of banquet halls in Miami and are quite cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! i can assure you Concorde is a good decision, just had mine end of June. Only thing to highlight would be to remind them on the speed of food serving, a section of our guests commented they clear the food really fast so we're guessing it could be due to a specific server. Anyway congrats and have fun planning!

    ReplyDelete